Clams in White Wine Sauce2011-07-18
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
This is a quick and easy one-skillet recipe perfect for entertaining.
- One stick butter (yes!)
- 1-2 pounds of fresh, unopened clams (figure about a half pound per person)
- 1 medium onion or large shallot, chopped
- 4-8 cloves of garlic, chopped very small
- Lemon or lime juice
- Bottle of white wine
- Chorizo, Kielbasa or any very flavorful sausage (optional)
- Salt, Pepper, Red Pepper, fresh herbs as desired
Pour yourself a glass of wine. Melt butter over medium heat in a large skillet. Add onion and garlic, squeeze on some lime or lemon juice and add spices. Add sausage if desired. After sausage and onion are well cooked pour yourself another glass of wine, then add the rest of the wine to the skillet (about half to 3/4 of a bottle depending on amount of clams used). Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add clean (scrubbed and rinsed) clams and cook until the clams just open up. Be sure not to cook them any longer as they will get chewy. Open another bottle of wine and pour yourself another glass! Excellent with fresh french bread!